One lawsuit has received particular attention because it alleges that other celebrities were implicated in Mr. Combs’ alleged crimes.
The case, filed in New York in October, involves a 13-year-old girl who claims she became disoriented and dizzy after drinking at one of Mr. Combs’ parties.
Shortly afterwards, she claims the man, initially identified as ‘Celebrity A’, stripped her of her clothes and raped her while Mr Combs and the woman, identified as ‘Celebrity B’, looked on.
On Sunday the plaintiff renewed the suit identify the first celebrity as rap legend Jay-Z.
In a wide-ranging statement, Jay-Z, whose real name is Sean Carter, called the claims “idiotic” and accused Mr Busby of trying to blackmail him by threatening to reveal his name.
“I stand with the real victims of the world who have to watch their life stories dressed up for profit by these cheap-suited ambulance drivers,” he added.
The musician previously filed an anonymous lawsuit in Los Angeles, accusing Mr Busby of a “shameless” extortion attempt.
Mr. Busby responded that the “frivolous” lawsuit was a “last-ditch effort” to stop Mr. Carter’s name being released.
“I’m a US Marine,” he wrote on Instagram. “I will not be silenced or intimidated, and neither will my clients.”
Mr. Combs’ legal team also denied the claims and said the extortion charge against Mr. Busby “exposes his barrage of lawsuits … for what they are: shameless publicity stunts designed to extract payments from celebrities , who fear they are being lied to, just as Mr. Combs was lied to.’
The back-and-forth only fueled speculation that more prominent figures in the music industry would be ensnared in the upcoming lawsuits.
Speaking to the BBC, Mr Busby called the possibility “very likely”.
“If you just look at the conduct that’s alleged in the charges, it’s pretty pervasive. A culture was created, a party culture, where everything is possible,” he says.
“There was just a general feeling that he (Mr Combs) was above the law, that he could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, to whoever he wanted.”
There has been a flurry of speculation on social media linking people to Mr Combs’ alleged crimes – based on pictures of showbiz parties in the 1990s and 2000s.
Needless to say, there is no evidence to support these allegations.
There were also widely discredited fakes, including a detailed biography purportedly written by Mr. Combs’ late partner, Kim Porter; and a viral song in which Justin Bieber allegedly sang, “I lost myself at a Diddy party.” The latter turned out to be a fake created by artificial intelligence.
Mr. Combs’ lawyers say the number of “false and outrageous” claims made by “government agents, plaintiffs’ attorneys and others with dubious motives” could be “perceived as prejudicial to potential jurors.”
Mr. Busby disagrees.
“Obviously, people who come to court as jurors don’t appear in a vacuum,” he tells the BBC.
“They read the press and they know what’s going on, but I think most people are willing to say, ‘Let’s evaluate this claim on its merits. What is the evidence and what is the defense?”